At GeoAmericas 2024 in Toronto (April 28 – May 1, 2024), a “GeoJeopardy” geotechnical trivia competition will be held. Questions will be centered around knowledge of the use and characteristics of geosynthetics.
- 8 college teams
- 3 students per team
- 1 sponsoring advisor/professor who will help the students navigate the process
The competition will take place daily during GeoAmericas 2024 with head-to-head matches occurring as part of the plenary sessions. It will be a single-elimination competition. Winning teams advance to compete in the next round until a single winning team is identified.
Students invited to compete will be offered full registration to GeoAmericas 2024, in exchange for contributing some service time to the event (e.g., help direct attendees to particular rooms/sessions, support the registration desk, etc.). Service time will be limited to no more than 10 hours and will not interfere with the student’s ability to engage the conference technical program. The conference will also consider providing a travel allowance, based on need and geographic proximity to the event. Students and any attending advisor/professor will provide for their own lodging during their conference.
HOW TO APPLY
- Prepare a team resume (PDF or standard word document), including:
a. Resume of sponsoring advisor/professor
b. Resume for each of the three students:
• Name, age, and current program/department enrolled in, degree working on and when graduation is expected
• Classes completed (or currently enrolled in) that have included geosynthetics curriculum
• List of any textbooks used with geosynthetics information
• Any special research projects or publications contributed to involving geosynthetics
- Fill in the application fields on the GeoAmericas website and upload your team resume: https://www.geoamericas2024.org/call-for-geojeopardy
Only one team per school will be accepted. Submittals are due by May 31, 2023. The conference will extend invitations to the eight schools selected by July 31, 2023.