Africa-Middle East Regional Activities Committee
The Africa – Middle East RAC promotes the dissemination of geosynthetics information and the appropriate use of geosynthetics throughout Africa and the Middle East. This goal is accomplished through the support of existing IGS Chapters and the establishment of new Chapters.
What We Do
- Provide a gateway between the IGS and the existing IGS Chapters and geosynthetics interest groups in the region
- Facilitate and assist in the formation of IGS Chapters through international relationships with other countries via the IGS Ambassadors Programme and the Federation of International Geo-Engineering Societies
- Support the organising committee of the GeoAfrica conference, including dissemination of information to other IGS regions, technical review of papers, and encouraging conference participation
- Support IGS Chapters in the region through the IGS Ambassadors Programme, educational events, and collaboration with the IGS Secretariat
- Promote the appropriate use of geosynthetics both in civil and mining applications throughout the region
- Continue the growth of the IGS in the region by reaching out to members and businesses involved in the geosynthetics industry
Together with the IGS Egyptian Chapter and IGS, we are planning GeoAfrica 2021, the 4th African Regional Conference on Geosynthetics: Geosynthetics in Sustainable Infrastructures and Mega Projects” taking place in Cairo, 20-23 February 2023.
African Committee Lead
Asian Regional Activities Committee
The Asian Regional Activities Committee facilitates the advancement of knowledge and technology related to geosynthetics through education, research and technology transfer in the Asia Pacific Region.
Typically our Committee meetings take place during IGS Council meetings, and also at major conferences within the Australasian region. We encourage all IGS members from these regions to attend.
What We Do
- Guide and oversee the chapters in the Asian and Australian regions especially the planning and organization of conferences and training programs
- Provide the chairperson for the Advisory Committee for all conferences organized within the region under IGS auspices
Prof. Chiwan Wayne Hsieh, Taiwan
Immediate Past Chair
Prof. Jiro Kuwano, Japan
European Regional Activities Committee
The European Regional Activities Committee promotes the appropriate use of geosynthetics through the dissemination of knowledge about geosynthetics, and supports the co-ordination of activities conducted by IGS chapters in European countries.
What We Do
- Recommend a Chapter to organise the EuroGeo regional conference, held every four years
- Support the organising committee of the EuroGeo conference, including dissemination of information to European Chapters and members, requesting participation in the technical review of papers, and encouraging participation in the conference (e.g. papers, exhibitors, and delegates)
- Encourage the formation of new European Chapters where opportunities exist
- Support groups of members who wish to form new Chapters in the region, including advice on organisation models and types of activities
- Provide a forum for the collection and dissemination of information and news relating to both European and global IGS activities and policies, achieved through email communication and meetings of representatives from each European Chapter, with an expectation that at least one meeting/communication exchange will take place each year.
- Support new Europe-wide initiatives, such as membership drives, technical developments (e.g. codes) and communication with sister organisations (e.g. representing geotechnical and water industries)
- Assist and coordinate translation of technical documents and other relevant information into the national languages of as many European RAC members as possible
- Actively participate in related European conferences (e.g. geotechnical, highways, landfill), promoting the IGS
- Communicate and collaborate with national and European standardization committees to monitor activity and help establish correct and comprehensive geosynthetics standards
Pan-American Regional Activities Committee
The Pan-American Regional Activities Committee promotes the use of geosynthetics in engineering practice, disseminates knowledge about geosynthetics, promotes technological advances involving geosynthetics, and provides a forum for geosynthetic professionals in the various regions of North and South America.
What We Do
- Promote the activities and presence of the IGS in North, Central, and South America
- Develop strategies to increase individual and corporate IGS memberships
- Encourage and assist in the formation of new IGS Chapters
- Work in conjunction with IGS Chapters and other societies in the region to transfer knowledge on geosynthetics through educational, technical and promotional activities
- Assist in the organization of the Pan-American Conference on Geosynthetics (GeoAmericas)
- Facilitate the interaction between IGS Chapters, the IGS Council and IGS Committees
- Identify general needs related to geosynthetics in the region and to recommend to the IGS Council actions to satisfy those needs
- Promote IGS activities and related technical and educational events in the Pan-American region that will benefit the geosynthetics discipline
Dr. Timothy D. Stark