The South African geosynthetics industry has steadily grown, in no small part due to the activities of the country’s International Geosynthetics Society Chapter: GIGSA. On the technical side of the ledger, the chapter and its members routinely arrange lectures in partnership or to advance connections with engineering groups and academic institutions. On the marketing side, the Geosynthetics Interest Group of South Africa holds an annual photo contest.
Images submitted by its membership are considered for monetary prizes and for use in promotion of geosynthetics in civil infrastructure.
The 2016 GIGSA Photo Contest contest—open to GIGSA members only—has extended its GIGSA 2016 Photo Contest to Friday 11 November 2016.
SOUTH AFRICAN GEOSYNTHETICS PHOTO CONTEST
GIGSA members are reminded that all entries should include a photo title, description, and photo credit. Awards of R 1000, 500, and 250 (1st – 3rd, respectively) will be issued.
Rules for submission:
- Photos should clearly display a geosynthetic material/technology in use
- Photos should provide a clear understanding of what geosynthetic technology or event is being demonstrated
- Contestant must be a GIGSA member in good standing
- Each individual member of GIGSA and/or Benefactor Member Representative may submit up to 5 photographs each. Each Benefactor Company may also submit up to 5 photographs each
- A title, description, and photo credit are required for each photo
- The file size should not exceed 4MB per picture
- File format must be .jpg
- Naming convention of the submitted .jpg should match or be similar to your photo title to avoid any confusion
- Photos should be sharp, well focused and aesthetically pleasing
- “Before and After” photo sets are welcome and count as one entry
- Final selection of First, Second, Third and Honorable Mention photos will be made by an independent committee
- For all submitted photos, if not directly owned by the submitter, relevant permission or copyright should be secured before submission to GIGSA. GIGSA will not be held liable for any copyright issues once pictures are published.
For questions regarding the rules of the photo contest or other non-technical questions please contact Johann le Roux via email at: Secretary@GIGSA.org.