IGS Young Members are set for an incredible year in 2020!
The Young Members Committee (YMC) has a diverse array of activities, programs and socials planned for next year including free webinars, more university outreach opportunities, and the creation of new youth groups within IGS chapters.
Established in 2012, the YMC aims to create a forum where the next generation of geosynthetics professionals can offer support, and share inspiration and advice. The YMC has a presence at many of the IGS’s major conferences and events and also hosts social events to encourage networking, new friendships and job opportunities. Tailored for students and those developing their careers in the geosynthetics industry, the group welcomes members aged under 36.
Exciting developments expected for 2020 include:
* IGS Student Award at GeoAmericas 2020 and EuroGeo 7
* Technical and social program for GeoAmericas 2020 and EuroGeo7
* Greater integration of YM in Chapter activities and technical committees
* Increase communication and exchange of information among members including via the e-blast (IGS’s short, frequent news emails)
* Create and develop a social media platform for awareness and communication to which geosynthetics education, events and activities can be discussed
* Job-seeking platform
* Research opportunities and collaboration among universities
* Promotion at university lectures
* Compiling educational materials for undergraduates
* Creating a live database of topics for undergraduate senior thesis projects
* Meet the Professionals networking events
* Promotion of IGS at university lectures
* Job shadowing opportunities
Laura Carbone, Chair of the IGS Young Members Committee, said: “Becoming a young member is really beneficial in terms of the networking, collaboration and learning opportunities tailored for those forging a career in geosynthetics.
“We’re here to support your growth and give you the best chance to meet and learn from the key people in the industry. It’s also a great platform to share ideas with your peers.
“We’re really pleased to see our numbers grow, and I encourage members old and new to get involved, and give us feedback and ideas for future events or initiatives you’d like to see.”
You can join the Young Members group by clicking here.
Already a member? Catch up on events via the Facebook page here.