Tackling modern problems in construction using geosynthetics were explored at a recent webinar.
Jointly hosted by the Russian and Kazakhstan chapters of the IGS, leading geotechnical specialists shared their expertise following a welcome address from Professor Eun Chul Shin of Incheon National University, South Korea, and an introduction to IGS Kazakhstan by its Secretary General Tulebekova Assel.
Attendees then heard from:
- K. Muzdybayeva, senior lecturer at the Department of Construction at L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University (ENU), who spoke on improving the reliability of road foundations reinforced with geosynthetic materials.
- B. Iskakov, a doctoral student at the Department of Civil Engineering at L.N. Gumilyov ENU, who described model tests of columnar foundations on reinforced underhole bases.
- A. Zaitsev, Associate Professor at the Department of Path and Track Management at the Russian University of Transport, who explored geosynthetics as an element in the design of railway track stabilization.
- Ph. E.V. Fedorenko, of NIP-Informatics, who spoke on a constructive solution to stabilize weak foundations.
- Kuznetsova, from Soterra Engineering, who talked about soil reinforced structures as part of bridges.
IGS Kazakhstan President Prof. Askar Zhussupbekov also highlighted the upcoming 17th Asian Regional Geotechnical Conference, which is due to take place on August 14-18, 2023, in Astana, Kazakhstan. The conference is organized by IGS sister society the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering.
IGS Russia President Andrey Petriaev: “The webinar was part of a series of international webinars on the use of geosynthetics. A large engineering community attended the latest one, and it showed the huge interest engineers have in the use of geosynthetics in construction.”
Some 100 engineers tuned in for the webinar, called ‘Application of geosynthetic materials in construction’ which took place on March 14.
To watch the webinar please follow this link. The webinar is in Russian but captioning can be set to your chosen language.