Educate the Educators is a global initiative from the International Geosynthetics Society.
Most engineering students finish university with little exposure to the use of geosynthetics, and yet geosynthetics are used on nearly all civil engineering projects. The Educate the Educators program shows lecturers how the core principles of geosynthetics can be incorporated into their existing course, including providing the presentations and other tools.
ACIGS recently hosted the first Educate the Educators course, with 13 academics attending from Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia and Papua New Guinea. The Gold Coast provided a wonderful back-drop & experience for the two days, which included –
- 7 formal lectures from the three visiting Professors, which were provided to the attendees for them to use as required in their under-graduate civil engineering courses
- 6 case studies from industry speakers including Professor Malek Bouazza (Monash University), geomembrane installers & product suppliers
- A welding demonstration was provided from very experienced geomembrane welders, showcasing the different welding techniques & what to look for in acceptable welds
- A tour of TRI Australia, a geosynthetics testing laboratory that was nearby
- A tour the Geofabrics production facility where people witnessed production of non-woven geotextiles, geosynthetic clay liners & a geosynthetic coastal solution
The attendees departed with a deeper knowledge of gesoynthetics, better networks across their various universities and pleasant memories of the whole event.